The City is committed to “Serving Hometown Hospitality” and excellent customer service. Please allow us to provide you with an overview of our services and programs.
- Types of Services offered
- Security Lights
- Establishing or disconnecting utility service
- Utility Payment options
- Mail: P.O. Box 550, Newton, NC 28658
- Pay In Person: 401 N. Main Ave., Newton, NC 28658
- Night depository box: For customer convenience, we also provide a drop box which is located outside the main entrance to City Hall.
- Automatic bank draft
- Electronic Payments via Website
- Electronic Payments via Telephone
- Budget Billing Program (Equal Payment Plan)
- Energy Audits
- The City of Newton offers specific recommendations to business and residential customers to help improve energy efficiency. Click for more information about Energy Audits.
- Payment Plans
- If you are facing possible disconnection of service for non-payment, please contact Customer Service at (828) 695-4301 to determine if you are eligible for a payment plan with the City.
- You must contact the Customer Service prior to your final due date.
- Payment Assistance through Outside Agencies
- There are a number of organizations (“Helping Agencies”) that provide financial assistance for utility services. Click for a list of Helping Agencies that the City works with on a regular basis.
- Citizens Awareness & Relief Effort (CARE)
- CARE is an initiative offered by the City of Newton to provide financial assistance with utility bills to Newton citizens during times of extreme need. CARE is a partnership between the City of Newton and Eastern Catawba Cooperative Christian Ministries (ECCCM), a local non-profit organization. If you would like to contribute to, click here.
- Gatekeeper Program
- The Gatekeeper Program was created to assist elderly citizens who need help but who are sometimes unable to help themselves. They live alone and may have little communication with others. If they become sick or unable to care for themselves, they could easily go unnoticed and unattended. If you know of someone who might benefit from this program, please contact the City at (828) 695-4279.
The City issues permits that authorize contractors to trim trees and brush and perform lawncare and maintenance within the City. Permits are valid for one calendar year (January-December). The permit fee is currently $10; however, the fee is subject to change annually as part of City of Newton’s Fees and Charges.
View the complete Customer Service Policy.