The Downtown Newton Streetscape Master Plan was formally adopted by the Newton City Council at its July 13, 2010 meeting. The Streetscape Master Plan Committee, in the final Master Plan Report, recognized that implementation of the plan will span several years and that circumstances over time will require modifications and additions to the plan. For that reason, the Master Plan included a recommendation that a Master Plan Review Committee be established to oversee the process of implementation, to review any city-controlled construction plans for adherence to the adopted plan, and to recommend future modifications to the plan. Newton City Council approved the establishment of a Master Plan Review Committee at the December 14th, 2010 meeting.
The mission of the Downtown Streetscape Master Plan Review Committee (SMPRC) is to oversee the process of implementation of the adopted Downtown Streetscape Master Plan, to review any city-controlled downtown construction plans for adherence to the adopted plan, and to recommend future modifications to the plan to the DNDA and the Mayor and City Council.
The role of the Streetscape Master Plan Review Committee is to ensure that the recommendations contained in the Streetscape Master Plan are followed whenever improvements are made in the downtown public areas, to assist and guide with the implementation of projects, and to continue to define and develop future modifications and expansions in scope to the Streetscape Master Plan. Those tasks may include, but are not limited to –
- Preparing and/or approving detailed specifications for identified elements of the Streetscape Plan.
- Promote and provide guidance for the implementation of recommendations such as pocket parks, wayfinding, and green spaces.
- Approving detailed design drawings for Streetscape projects.
- Developing procedures for managing the placement of Streetscape elements such as benches, trash receptacles, bicycle racks, and street trees.
- Managing memorial programs for benches, street trees, and other elements.
- Developing a public art program to enhance the Downtown Streetscape Master Plan.
- Recommending Streetscape Master Plan additions and changes to City Council for approval.
- Monitoring City projects for opportunities to incorporate elements of the Streetscape Master Plan.
- Maintaining a watch for grant opportunities and other funding opportunities for Streetscape improvements.
The Streetscape Master Plan Review Committee consists of the following appointed members: the members of the DNDA Design Committee, the City of Newton Director of Public Works or designee, the City of Newton Planning Director or designee, the Chairperson of the Newton Appearance Commission, one member of the Catawba County Historical Association, one member of the Board of the United Arts Council of Catawba County, and one member of City Council as appointed by the Mayor and Council. Members serve for as long as they hold the position that determined their membership.