- Owner and manager of H&W Drug Co., a family-owned pharmacy and drug store with a 150-year legacy
- Graduate of Newton-Conover High School
- Graduate of Lenoir-Rhyne University, 1960 All-American Sports Hall of Fame for football
Elected to Council:
- Elected as Mayor in 2019
Community/Government Involvement and Organizations:
- Former member of the Army National Guard
- Former member of the Catawba Country Club Board of Directors
- Former member of the Newton Planning Commission
- Phone: 828-464-0881
- Email: Eddie Haupt
The Mayor is elected by the citizens at-large to serve a four year term and presides over City Council meetings. Duties include:
- Keeps informed as to the City’s business.
- Acts as head of the City government for all ceremonial functions.
- Appoints individuals from the community to serve on City committees and outlines their powers and duties as necessary to properly care for the affairs of the City.
- Makes recommendations as deemed necessary or expedient to the City Council.
What Are The Duties Of The Mayor Pro Tempore?
At the first meeting or as soon thereafter as possible after a current election, the City Council elects one of its members as Mayor Pro Tempore who, in the absence of the Mayor, presides at meetings and performs the duties assigned to that office.